Monday, April 26, 2010

Altered Lampshade Tutorial...using burlap & felt

I have been wanting to alter this lampshade for the longest time.  As you can see in the before picture, it really didn't go with my decor...at all!
One thing that I did learn from this project is to iron out the wrinkles in the burlap before attaching.  I was on a roll and didn't notice until it was all done.  I will have to do some fancy steaming work on it.
I used freezer paper do make my pattern out of.  I cut the beads off first {I will definitely use them later!}.  Then I just drew a line as a rolled the lampshade in a half circle.  I wasn't precise with it, I am sure that there are always better ways of doing everything I do. :)
Once I cut this half circle, I fliped the pattern over and ended up cutting a whole circle out.  I then trimmed the excess off. 
I attached the top first.  Hot glue loves to come through the fibers of the burlap so the clothes pins helped save my fingertips!
I just made a ruffle on top.  {I also finished out the insides with thinner black ribbon, I just didn't include a picture of it}
Cut out 2 in. circles out of felt, whatever color you want.  Then you make a dot of hot glue in the middle and fold one side then the other to form what my son called a "TACO".
Once the hot glue is cooled off, cut in the middle which forms 2 individual pieces for the trim.
Lots of hot gluing!  You just have to make enough for your size of lampshade!
I also made that fabric flower to attach to the top side of the shade...it just needed just a little bit more.
The possibilities are endless...I have several more that I am planning on changin' up soon!!
Enjoy!!!
Linked to:
Keeping it Simple
Between Naps on the Porch
The Girl Creative
Making the World Cuter
Chocolate Sundaes
Reinvented: Trash to Treasure Tuesday
My Frugal Family:  Talented Tuesday
A Soft Place to Land
Today's Creative Blog

9 comments:

  1. That is a hard lamp shade to recover because of the shape, but it looks really cute. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of black and burlap. You have married them together so nicely. :) Your shade is lovely.
    Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute Jenn!! I bet the wrinkles will hang out in time. And, I LOVE the ribbon on top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh, burlap makes everything beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tutorial! I need to recover a lampshade for my father-in-law, who is moving into a retirement apartment, and it's a very odd size. I think I can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too cute Jenn! I have a lampshade in the same shape that has been taunting me. But not anymore. Thanks so much for including the 'how to' on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a great transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for this tutorial. I bought a lamp at a garage sale this weekend that is in desperate need of a face lift.

    Great instructions and gorgeous results.

    ReplyDelete